August 2008 Meeting Recap
This month Leon Gersing talked about Script.aculo.us and Prototype. Jim Holmes also spoke about Code Complexity. The materials for Jim's presentation can be found here. We hope to post Leon's presentation at the CINNUG download site soon and a blog entry will be created to announce the posting.
Attendance (33): Remember our 2008 membership drive. The rules are the same as last year: come to a meeting and get a chance to win. Bring someone to a meeting that has never come before and both you and your guest get a chance to win. This year's membership drive will end at the November CINNUG meeting. Note that attending CinARC and any CINNUG Special events DO count towards you chances to win! You must be present in November to win.
- The 2008 Membership Drive has started! Come to CinARC and CINNUG meetings to get chances to win. We haven't decided on the prize this year, but last year it was an XBox 360.
- Elections for CINNUG Directors will be held in October. All the rules and such can be found in our Bylaws but in order to nominate, be nominated or become a Director you must be a Supporting Member, which means you have attended at least three out of the last Six meetings inclusive of Oct). You must also be a Supporting Member to vote.
- MSDN Unleashed - Oct 7th at the MS office in Mason
- ArcReady - Oct 7th at the MS Office in Mason
- If you are interested in starting a book club please contact the CINNUG Administrators. This will be members reading a technology book and meeting to discuss it.
- If you are interested in getting together for some peer/pair programming sessions to solve fictional problems for the purpose of learning TDD, BDD, patterns, coding styles and perhaps even other languages contact the CINNUG Administrators. We are tentatively thinking of calling these Bitslinger events or Code Fests.
We have two CINNUG related meetings coming in September! Remember that each one you attend gets you a chance to win the Membership Drive prize.
CinARC Meeting (Tuesday, September 9th)
Come join this new special interest group as we discuss topics related to software architecture. This meeting is run using the fishbowl technique where the attendees are encouraged to share their thoughts with everyone while keeping the meeting from becoming a free for all. :) What topic will we cover? Well, that's up to the attendees!
The CinARC meeting will be held on Tuesday, September 9th at 6:00 PM at MAX Technical Training in Mason , OH .
CINNUG: Microsoft Project Astoria and the Semantic Web (Tuesday, September 16th at Microsoft Office in Mason, OH)
The goal of Microsoft Codename Astoria is to enable applications to expose data as a data service that can be consumed by web clients within a corporate network and across the internet. The Semantic Web brings to the Web the idea of having data defined and linked in a way that it can be used for more effective discovery, automation, integration, and reuse across various applications. Astoria applications are reachable over HTTP, and URIs are used to identify the various pieces of information available through the service. Chris will show how the Semantic Web can bring new opportunities to your business and/or clients using new technologies like the Astoria Project.
Presented by: Chris Woodruff
Chris Woodruff is an Architect in the West Michigan Practice group at NuSoft Solutions. His work involves integrating new technologies, assisting development teams with architecture designs, and helping with development standards. Chris is the VP of the West Michigan .NET User Group and also is an Advisory Council Member at Capella University for the External Information Technology Advisory Council. Chris is the founder and coordinator of the Day of .NET West Michigan and also helps with other Day of .NET events in Michigan. He holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science from the College of Engineering at Michigan State University. In his spare time, Chris coaches his sons sporting teams and plays poker.
Grok Talk: Narayana Yeluru will be presenting a shorter talk on Google Maps and Virtual Earth.
The CINNUG meeting will be held on Tuesday, September 16th (Special Night and Place!) at 6:00 PM at the Microsoft Office in Mason, OH.